Friday, August 29, 2008

Expectations

The carnival atmosphere all week and after the big speech was unlike anything I've seen before. The closest comparison would be to a sporting event (think Super Bowl or Final Four), but with a greater sense of togetherness, shared purpose, and palpable anticipation.

What did I expect from this week? This is a difficult question to answer simply. I whipped out the cliches when I was interviewed on Sunday--"Be a part of history"..."A special election and a special candidate"--but as with most cliches, there's a kernel of truth in them. Not knowing what, when, or how anything would happen, I did know at minimum that I was coming to witness history with the nomination of the first African-American candidate for president. That alone was special. Upon further reflection, though, I think it was more personal than that. It gave me an outlet for connecting to a process I had not really been engaged in before. Yes, I pay more attention than many to political stuff, but more passively and as entertainment. This time, I feel more a PART of it all, and these 4 days in Denver have only helped me to realize that for certain.

What we did this week was unique, fun, exciting, and once-in-a-lifetime, and I'll remember it for some time to come. Praveen--It's been a blast. Thanks for agreeing to do this with me without any real plan. Maybe this spontaneous, fly-by-the-seat-of-my pants me will endure long after Denver. You never know!

No comments: